The events of 9/11 were remembered this week, and I attended a soccer game between the local policemen and firemen. The firemen won with a last minute goal - go team!! I ventured on to the old style fire truck, and even tried out the fireman coat and axe with it!
With a slight hangover the next morning I dragged my body to Washington Park. I started strolling towards the Japanese and Rose garden only to find myself on a four mile hike in a forest! Hangover gone! The park is beautiful and I did enjoy the hike (in flip flops!). I've finished up in Portland now and have arrived in sunny (so far) Seattle.
Things I noticed so far about the America experience;
• There are no small portions
• They can deep fry anything (Oreos, green beans, butter! Yuck)
• When it is hot it is HOT (sweating!)
• Each city really support their sports teams and like to celebrate each good pass/play
• There is a lot of homelessness
• So far everyone is friendly and helpful
• Americans really like beer and cheese!
• There are no small portions!!
So I'm on my own in Seattle and I'm trying out the hostel experience ( I can feel my aunt's and sister's disgust from here!) . Plenty to see and do here so the next two days are full of adventure. I have explored all day, basically I walked the legs off myself. A beer and Monday night football to finish off the day, how American of me! Hopefully I won't be sleepless in Seattle ! (Sorry, I had too!)
Big thanks to my cousin James who showed me the sights around Portland and put up with me for two weeks! We'll get him home to Ireland yet!